Friday, October 12, 2018

What comes next

Today, for the first time in just about ten months, I went to work.  Well, sort of. I showed up and signed some papers and got a quick tour.  Tomorrow I will start work for real.

I'll be working at a movie theater.  A cool theater that serves beer and food to you while you watch your movie.  I'll be training to be a food runner.

15 years of Information Technology experience, followed by 5 years of business management experience and now this.

My resume sent to organizations beyond count.  Dozens of calls.  About a dozen serious in person interviews.  And not one of them felt I was the best the fit for their organization.

I lowered my standards.  I changed my strategy.  I went on unemployment.  And then those benefits ended.  I moved me and my son to another state to live with my parents. 

Two years ago I was confident and optimistic.  Now, not so much.  My family and friends want me to be look at this as a temporary situation.  While I regroup. 

I can't imagine a future that is different this.  At least not permanently,  In a six month period, my wife left without reason, my job, with a company I'd been with for over six years, was eliminated for reasons that don't make sense and my divorce was finalized.

Much of what was my life was taken from me with out warning or reason.  I can't see ever believing that anything is permanent.  The only constant is my son.  He's 17.  He will move in adulthood and own his life before that long.

I am excited to have the job.  It will be nice to interact with other people.  I haven't done that at all in months.  I'll get to watch a lot of movies.  I'll be able to afford gas and cigarettes without asking my folks for money.  But I can only get so excited about a job that will pay me somewhere 10 to 20 percent of what I was making.  I should end up just above the poverty line.

Of course, there is more to life than money.  But it is hard to plan for anything without it. 

I don't know what will happen next.  But I am sure that there is nothing that can't be taken from me. 

No comments: